Texas Family Wins $11 Million in Mesothelioma Lawsuit

A mesothelioma lawsuit brought about by a Dallas, Texas couple has just received a verdict amounting to over $11 million.  The Texas couple, Vernon Walker and his wife Patsy, filed their mesothelioma lawsuit last year under the claim that Mr. Walker’s mesothelioma diagnosis was due to his work with asbestos containing painting materials and products. 

Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer that can affect the lining of the chest, heart, and abdomen, and is generally due to a degree of asbestos cancer by the victim.  The Texas family brought the lawsuit against the asbestos mining company Union Carbide Corporation, and claimed liability to product manufactures Georgia Pacific, Bondex, and Kelly Moore.  The jury awarded an amount in excess of $11 million and found that 40% of the blame rested on Union Carbide Corp, and found the remaining 60% to fall on the other named companies. Mr. Walker, 67, spent much of his life as a union painter working in the construction of strip malls, skyscrapers, and private homes. 

Painters and construction workers whose careers spanned the 1960s through 1970s were at high risk due to ignored or even absent safety measures and equipment use surrounding asbestos job sites and products.  The products and materials that Mr. Walker claimed to have led to his asbestos exposure were texturing paints, drywall components, and block fitters.

Since 1978 most of these materials containing asbestos have been banned or regulated by the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) for being “unreasonably dangerous” and likely to cause cancers like mesothelioma.  The Walker family is one of many families across the country that are taking their fight to court to get justice from the asbestos manufactures who are the cause behind their illness and suffering.