Family of Mesothelioma Victim Files Suit Against Former Employer

Weatherby, UK  – The family of Brian Harrison, a former furniture worker in England, announced in September their plans to sue Harrison’s former employer in a wrongful death suit. Harrison died of mesothelioma in April 2009, only months after being diagnosed with the asbestos cancer.
Harrison’s former employer, Moores Furniture Group, is said to have exposed workers to asbestos repeatedly over a period of years, without giving any notice of its dangers or providing safety equipment to employees. Harrison, 71, was employed at the facility for 29 years. His family believes he was exposed to asbestos dust from pipe insulation removal done at the facility, which resulted in mesothelioma. Asbestos is the leading cause of mesothelioma, a rare cancer affecting nearly 3,000 people each year. Up until the 1980s, the mineral asbestos was broken down and used in a variety of commercial and industrial products, such as insulation, to make materials durable, as well as heat, fire and chemical resistant. When asbestos fibers are disturbed or begin to break down, however, the fibers are released into the air, where they are easily breathed in. Asbestos fibers can lay dormant within the body for decades, and can greatly affect the cells, leading to a malignant mesothelioma tumor. Harrison was diagnosed with mesothelioma in December 2008. Already in a very late stage of the disease, his doctors attempted to alleviate the pain by draining fluid buildup from his lungs. Although mesothelioma has an average life expectancy of one to two years, Harrison succumbed to his mesothelioma in only four months. "He had been fit and healthy but once the mesothelioma took hold his condition deteriorated significantly," said Brian Harrison, the victim’s son. "He was in and out of hospital from the moment he was diagnosed until he passed away and even missed what turned out to be our final family Christmas. It’s devastating."