A dormitory at Texas State University in San Marcos, TX has been found to contain asbestos products that have been loosened and could be dangerous to students and employees until they are properly removed.
Elliot Hall, a dormitory used to house TSU students, was recently found to contain loose floor tiles that contain asbestos and could be creating a mesothelioma risk to those living in the building. Many buildings on campus were built before 1980 and therefore contain asbestos products. They are regularly inspected to ensure that no damage has led to asbestos exposure.
Don Compton, the associate director of Facilities Planning, Design and Construction associate director, told the school paper that renovations were underway to remove the dangerous asbestos products from the building. Kyle Estes, the associate director of Housing and Residential Life for the university, added that asbestos products had been removed from Elliott Hall’s Building B in the past.
Texas State University has more than 34,000 students enrolled currently, according to its website. With the school year right around the corner, hopefully they can safely remove any asbestos from the campus in time so no one is put at an increased risk of developing an asbestos illness such as mesothelioma.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, call Sokolove Law today to learn more about possibly filing a mesothelioma claim.