When you or someone you love is diagnosed with a frightening asbestos related disease or mesothelioma, contacting an asbestos attorney may not be the first thing on your mind.
However, if you’re wondering how you’ll pay for your mesothelioma treatment – or what might happen to your family when you’re no longer able to work – talking to an asbestos attorney might be something to consider when deciding on the first steps you take.
Why is It Important to Contact an Asbestos Attorney?
The statute of limitations, which varies from state to state, limits the period of time within which you can file an asbestos claim. But an asbestos attorney may still be able to recover damages on your behalf even if the common statute of limitations has passed. What’s more, retaining an asbestos attorney and filing a lawsuit may be the only chance you have to get compensation for medical expenses and lost income due to your asbestos exposure.
How to Find the Right Asbestos Attorney
When you’re looking for an asbestos attorney, it’s hard not to get distracted by the lofty promises that many law firms make. However, try to stay focused in your search. To ensure you find an asbestos attorney who will bring you positive results, ask each prospective attorney the following questions:
- How many asbestos related cases have you handled? What was the primary outcome?
- Who will actually be handling my case?
- Will I be able to call my attorney with questions as needed?
- Will you accept my case on a contingency basis (meaning the law firm will only collect a fee if and when you collect a settlement)?
- Will my claim be handled on an individual basis or bundled with other cases?