Scottish Artist May Have Been Exposed to Asbestos Through His Work

Sad news out of Scotland: the recent death of an artist is being attributed to mesothelioma that was potentially caused by asbestos exposure in his own workshop.

According to the Daily Record, 79-year-old James Howie passed away earlier this month from mesothelioma and a pulmonary embolism. However, some found his death odd because he had never worked in factories or industrial buildings, settings that have led to a number of mesothelioma cases.

However, when looking for what could have caused Howie to inhale the dangerous asbestos fibers that caused his diagnosis, his wife Joyce told the newspaper that she suspected that sanding methods he used on paint for his pieces may have been what released the fibers into the air.

“He used to do layer upon layer of paint, always scraping, sanding, cutting it back to paint over it again and again in order to create a certain effect,” she said. “He would keep repeating this process until it resulted in the thing he was looking for.”

She added that, at the time of the article’s publishing, there had still not been final results from her husband’s autopsy to confirm or deny her suspicions.

Whether or not James Howie’s sanding methods ultimately led to the asbestos exposure that caused his mesothelioma diagnosis, his case is nonetheless another example that a mesothelioma diagnosis can happen to anyone, not just factory workers.

If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos by using certain products or working for certain companies and have subsequently been diagnosed with mesothelioma, there may be legal options worth pursuing to obtain a mesothelioma settlement.

Contact a mesothelioma attorney if you have any questions about the details of asbestos law and what is needed to pursue a settlement from the manufacturer of the asbestos product.