Another sad story is being reported out of the UK in which secondhand asbestos exposure has led to the mesothelioma death of a loved one who did nothing more than live with someone who unknowingly tracked the deadly fiber into their home.
Sixty-six-year old Helene Todd passed away from malignant mesothelioma in 2010, only seven months after being told she had developed the deadly asbestos cancer. The cause of her mesothelioma was tracked back to asbestos fibers that were unknowingly brought into her home by her husband John, who served in the military as a sergeant with the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers in Germany from 1968-1979.
John regularly worked on military vehicles that used asbestos products, and would come home with asbestos fibers all over his work clothes. In the years since he worked there, the Ministry of Defense has admitted that they were responsible for John and Helene’s asbestos exposure.
Since her death, John has taken steps towards pursuing a mesothelioma lawsuit that is only possible through the sad irony of the situation: If he had been the one to die from asbestos exposure, “crown immunity” would have prevented his family from bringing a personal injury lawsuit.
“I was paid to die, but she wasn’t,” he said, according to The Mirror.
If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos and now suffer from mesothelioma, call Sokolove Law today to learn more about pursuing a mesothelioma claim.