Famed mountaineer Lincoln Hall, who is known for his dramatic rescue from the near-summit of Everest in 2006, has passed away at the age of 56 from mesothelioma that was likely caused by asbestos exposure he experienced during his youth.
Hall was world-renowned for the many mountains he climbed around the world and the role he served as the director of the Australian Himalayan Foundation. However, he gained another level of notoriety in 2006 when he passed out from oxygen deprivation on his way down from the peak of Everest. He was found by another group of mountaineers the next morning and rescued.
Hall’s mesothelioma diagnosis was linked to asbestos exposure he likely suffered during his youth when he helped his father build cubby houses out of asbestos cement flat sheets in 1965 and 1966, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
“Lincoln was an amazing human being,” friend and spokesman Simon Balderstone said, according to the AP.”The world was such a better place for his presence and now so much the poorer for his absence.”
Mesothelioma can form decades after the initial asbestos exposure that caused the deadly illness. If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos and now is suffering from mesothelioma, call Sokolove Law today to learn more about pursuing a mesothelioma lawsuit.