When Tony Cock was diagnosed with mesothelioma cancer in July 2012, he learned he had only three to six months to live. Now, the Cornwall, England man is seeking justice from his former employer, as a recent story on the Local World regional Web site notes.
Cock believes it was his work as an industrial painter that exposed him to the asbestos that caused his painful and terminal cancer. The 59-year-old Cock was diagnosed with mesothelioma after he contracted pneumonia and had two pints of fluid drained from his lung. That lung operation led to a biopsy that found the rare cancer.
Cock, like his father and grandfather before him, spent years painting asbestos lagging on heating pipes for telecommunications company Cable and Wireless, based in Porthcurno, England. An effective insulator, asbestos was widely used for applications that required fireproofing, durability, and insulation.
He blames his illness specifically on the asbestos dust that fell from the pipes. “We would decorate the ceilings and paint the heating pipes, dusting the pipes off with a brush. They were usually thick with dust,” he remembers.
Currently, he’s working with solicitors who are investigating the claim. A Cable and Wireless representative declined to comment on this specific case, but noted the firm takes “matters of health and safety very seriously.”
If you or a loved one has developed mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos, you may be eligible to file a mesothelioma lawsuit. Call Sokolove Law today for a free legal consultation. Mesothelioma attorneys can help you investigate your exposure to asbestos, and get you the fair compensation you deserve. Call or fill out the form today.