The family of a Norfolk (UK) woman, who died of mesothelioma in 2008 has received a mesothelioma settlement. Betty Farrow never worked in any occupations that are associated with asbestos exposure. She was a nurse and ran pubs for much of her adult life.
Farrow was exposed to asbestos because of her husband’s job as a boilerman. He came home with asbestos fibers on his work clothes and Farrow washed them every week.
Secondhand asbestos exposure occurs when a person is indirectly exposed to asbestos through either a household member or the environment. It is increasingly being recognized as a direct cause of mesothelioma, lung cancer and other types of serious asbestos-related illnesses.
“She died in June 2008 with an inquest showing the cause of death was mesothelioma, and revealing scarring of the lung lining which only develops as a result of exposure to asbestos.,” according to EDP24.
Asbestos was an “inexpensive wonder material” in its time, but “also terminally dangerous because it sticks around in the body as well as the environment for a long time,” attorney David Cass said.
Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive form of cancer that is caused by asbestos exposure. When people inhale asbestos fibers, they get stuck in lungs and cause scarring. Over time, this causes asbestos-related illnesses such as asbestosis and, in some cases, mesothelioma.
If you or someone you know was exposed to asbestos and is suffering from mesothelioma or another asbestos related disease, you may be eligible for compensation. Contact one of our experienced mesothelioma attorneys to begin the process of getting the justice you deserve.