Baron & Budd Wins Damages for Six Families of Pennsylvania Asbestos Victims

Barron & Budd announced that lawsuits brought by the families of six Pennsylvania men, who died of malignant mesothelioma, were awarded last week. The deceased men—a carpenter, pipe fitter, electrician, maintenance worker, Navy sailor, and weekend home remodeler—all had been exposed to asbestos through their occupations.
Asbestos is a long, thin fiber that has been used in various infrastructures throughout the 1900s due due its resistance to heat, chemical, and electrical damage. The tiny fibers released in the air are then inhaled and become inescapable. Asbestos exposure may lead to many asbestos-related diseases, including mesothelioma.

Mesothelioma is an aggressive form of cancer that does not usually appear until 15 to 40 years after the asbestos exposure, which at that time, due to the longevity it takes to manifest, becomes nearly untreatable and fatal in most cases.

Before the mesothelioma took the men’s lives, they asked for the Baron & Budd law firm to take care of their families. John Langdoc of Baron &Budd stated that he hoped the deceased men’s wishes had been fulfilled that through the positive verdict. This case would also impact the future safety policies of companies who choose to use hazardous substances in their consumer products. Although asbestos is a well-known cancer-causing agent, it was also cheaper to use than substitutions.

Three of the cases settled for more than $1 million each before the verdict. The remaining three cases were tried to verdict against Ericsson, Inc., Georgia-Pacific, and Melrath. This is believed to be the nation’s first asbestos verdict against a wiring manufacturer, since an electrician was exposed to asbestos in the lining of certain Anaconda electrical wiring that he used while working at a printing company.

The six Philadelphia cases included:

1)An electrician who was exposed to asbestos in the lining of certain Ericsson, Inc., “Anaconda brand” electrical wiring.

2)A Navy sailor who was exposed to asbestos-containing gaskets made by Crane Co..

3)A maintenance worker who was repeatedly exposed to asbestos through gaskets in boilers made by Kewanee, now known as Oakfabco, as well as to asbestos fireproofing.

4)An avocational home remodeler who was exposed to asbestos-containing joint compound manufactured by Georgia-Pacific.

5)A professional remodeler and carpenter who was exposed to Georgia-Pacific asbestos-containing joint compound.

6)A pipefitter who was exposed to asbestos-containing pipe insulation and gaskets during work at a large chemical plant.