Employees from the Massachusetts Public Works Department are monitoring the site of a fire that happened a week ago on Humphrey Street in Swampscott. The site of the fire, which destroyed several commercial and residential properties, was discovered to contain small amounts of asbestos.
Asbestos, a naturally occurring mineral, is known to cause health problems including mesothelioma cancer. Before the public became aware of asbestos exposure and its potential health problems, asbestos was added to various construction products for its resistance to fire, heat, friction, electrical, and chemical damage.
The site of the fire shares a property line with Hadley Elementary School, which was shut down for multiple days last week due to air quality issues. The current plan, set by the Department of Environmental Protection, involves a perimeter set around the school where the air will be tested for asbestos twice daily. This is to ensure the safety of the students and teachers while crews outfitted in protective suits remove the building remains from the nearby site. In addition, the debris will be sprayed with water in an effort to keep any dangerous asbestos fibers from becoming airborne.
If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos or diagnosed with mesothelioma, a mesothelioma lawyer may be able to assist you.