Asbestos in HiTemp Blocks

Share This:

HiTemp Blocks were brick-shaped, hard mineral and fiber insulation blocks that were installed in a multitude of homes and workplaces around the world before 1980. After the 1980s, it was determined that asbestos was a health hazard so the use of HiTemp blocks that contained asbestos was curbed.

HiTemp blocks were considered to be efficient insulation, they were cheap to manufacture and durable. And no one suspected that while they were saving money, a few dollars here and there, they were taking lives. Asbestos is deadly and thousands of people have suffered and died because of the damage caused by asbestos and HiTemp blocks insulation.

Asbestos is a mineral that can be broken down into very fine fibers that are heat resistant and extremely durable. Because of these properties, and because it was cheap to manufacture, it was widely used in thousands of products for many years before it was discovered that exposure to asbestos could cause health risks and diseases.

Health Issues Associated with Asbestos Include:

  • Pleural plaques
  • Scarring of lung tissue also called asbestosis
  • Lung cancer
  • Stomach cancer
  • Colon cancer
  • Rectal cancer
  • Vocal chord cancer
  • Kidney cancer
  • Mesothelioma

If you have a history of asbestos exposure you should know that smoking could increase your risk factors. If you worked with HiTemp blocks that were manufactured before 1980 and are concerned that you may have been exposed to asbestos, you should consult with a medical professional.

Asbestos exposure can cause serious diseases, including Mesothelioma and asbestos lung cancer. If you breathe asbestos fibers into your lungs, some of the fibers can be deposited in your air passages and lungs and can cause severe respiratory damage.

Fibers that clear the lungs are carried away in a layer of mucus to the throat, where they can be swallowed into the stomach. They can become stuck in the membranes lining the stomach or intestines, or can be distributed throughout the body via the blood. Wherever the fibers are, you should know that they are dangerous enough to cause cancer.

For most people who worked with asbestos products like HiTemp blocks or were exposed to asbestos, there was no warning of the dangers, there was no warning of the risks, and numerous people died without anyone knowing the why behind it; when they did discover that this predator lurked in the shadows, it was too late. If you suspect that you’ve been exposed to asbestos, you should consult with a medical professional today.