Asbestos in Patching Fiber

Share This:

For many years, asbestos was used in a number of industries because it was a lightweight, fire-resistant and fairly inexpensive product that served as a great insulator. As such, asbestos was commonly used in patching fiber. This substance made patching fiber more effective for use on ceilings and walls to patch gaps, holes, and cracks. Unfortunately, asbestos was also extremely harmful to anyone who happened to be exposed to this naturally-occurring, yet deadly material.

Asbestos exposure has been discovered to be the lone cause of a deadly type of lung cancer known as mesothelioma. While asbestos exposure can have a detrimental affect on the lungs, heart and abdomen, mesothelioma primarily affects the lining of the lungs. People who have been exposed to the asbestos in patching fiber through inhalation or ingestion are likely to be affected by this deadly disease.

What to Do If You Have Been Exposed to Patching Fiber Asbestos

If you’ve been exposed to patching fiber asbestos, it is recommended that you see your physician as soon as possible to be tested for mesothelioma. Mesothelioma can seem to lie dormant for ten, twenty or even thirty years as it may take that long for you to notice any symptoms. However, this disease can still be causing damage during this seemingly latent period. Therefore, it’s important to detect it early on so you and your doctor can attack it before it causes too much damage.

After you’ve consulted your physician, you may want to seek legal counsel from an experienced and qualified mesothelioma attorney. Some mesothelioma sufferers who have been exposed to patching fiber asbestos have been successfully awarded with financial compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages and other expenses related to mesothelioma.

Who’s At the Greatest Risk for Exposure to Asbestos Through Patching Fibers

Individuals who have worked in construction, manufacturing and shipyards are at the greatest risk of exposure to asbestos through patching fiber. This risk is especially high because, prior to the 1980s, a number of companies failed to furnish their employees with the proper protective equipment.

As a result, many workers were exposed to asbestos daily and eventually contracted mesothelioma. Family members of these workers may also be at risk as asbestos dust and fibers could have easily traveled to the home via the worker’s clothes. When asbestos fibers or dust are inhaled or swallowed, significant damage ensues.