Asbestos in Mineral Wool

Share This:

When someone is building a home or office, it is understandable to want to fully insulate it. This just makes sense. You want to keep the warm air in during the winter and the cold air in during the summer. However, one thing you won’t find in homes these days being used as insulation is asbestos mineral wool. Although it has been used for several years as a fantastic source of fire-resistant insulation, it’s since been replaced with fiberglass or another more modern form of insulation.

Asbestos mineral wool worked great as a means of dampening noise pollution, especially in residential areas. However, it is believed that this type of insulation had stopped being used in the 1950s. This means that any homes that still contain asbestos mineral wool are at risk.

Why is this the case? Modern knowledge says that if there is asbestos in your home and it is in good condition, you should probably leave it alone. However, as the asbestos-containing product ages, it releases microscopic fibers into the air that can be breathed in by your family. The fact of the matter is that most asbestos mineral wool that remains in any home today will probably need to be removed by a professional because of the deterioration that most likely has occurred over time.

Exposure to asbestos poses numerous health risks, including:

Asbestosis

Asbestosis is a condition caused by inhaling asbestos fibers that cause inflammation and scarring in the lungs. This can lead to breathing difficulties and even heart failure.

Mesothelioma

Mesothelioma is a very rare form of cancer directly linked to asbestos exposure. Only about 2,500 new cases are reported each year. However, it is the most common form of cancer diagnosed due to asbestos exposure. This form of cancer affects the lining of the chest and abdomen.

Other Cancers

Many other cancers can result from asbestos exposure as well, including cancers affecting the lungs, intestines, rectum, esophagus and more.

Asbestos exposure is very serious business. Even if you think your home is safe or that your workplace is safe, it is always a good idea to double check. Call out a professional to evaluate your home for potentially friable asbestos. Friable asbestos is asbestos that can be easily broken apart with the hands. Friable asbestos is especially susceptible to airborne contamination.