The insulation and construction benefits of asbestos made this material a common component of products used every day Unfortunately, those products have put you and your family at risk for health problems. One of those products is called asbestos canvas.
Asbestos canvas is a spray-on insulation used around water heaters, boilers, hot water and steam pipes, etc. This form of insulation can crumble in your hand and is the most dangerous form of asbestos because it easily releases asbestos fibers into the air.
It is extremely hard to destroy asbestos fibers, and the body is incapable of breaking them down or shedding them once they have become lodged in the lung or body tissues. Once asbestos fibers are wedged in place they can cause disease.
Three Significant Forms of Disease Caused by Asbestos Include:
- Asbestosis; a chronic, non-cancerous respiratory disease. This disease forms when asbestos fibers produce scars on the lung tissue. There is no effective treatment for asbestosis and the disease is usually disabling or fatal. If you renovate or demolish buildings that contain asbestos you are at significantly higher risk, depending on the exposure itself and the precautions you’ve taken.
- Lung Cancer; the number one cause of death related to asbestos exposure.
- Malignant mesothelioma; a disease in which malignant (cancer) cells are found in the pleura (the thin layer of tissue that lines the chest cavity and covers the lungs) or the peritoneum (the thin layer of tissue that lines the abdomen and covers most of the organs in the abdomen).
Other forms of cancer and their causes have been directly linked to ingesting asbestos. These include cancers in the esophagus, larynx, oral cavity, stomach, colon and kidney.
There are a couple of factors that determine your chances for developing one of these asbestos related diseases.
- The amount of exposure to asbestos that you’ve had and the amount of fibers that have entered your body determine the likelihood of you developing asbestos related diseases. You are at high risk if you are exposed repeatedly over a long period of time.
- If you are a smoker and have been exposed to asbestos, your chances of developing lung cancer are greatly increased.
The risks of developing disease caused by exposure to an asbestos canvas increases with the intensity and duration of the asbestos exposure. Most people who develop asbestos diseases are directly exposed to asbestos at their jobs for long periods of time.