Asbestos in Blown-In Insulation

Share This:

Asbestos Blown-In InsulationIt has long been known that asbestos is an effective insulator. That’s why it was used in insulation materials for homes all across the nation. It kept the heat in during the winter and the heat out in the summer. Insulation is important. It keeps your home comfortable and helps to keep your energy bills down. And while blown-in insulation containing asbestos did all of these things, it also put many individuals and families at risk of asbestos exposure. So, why all the fuss? Well, back in the 1970s, asbestos was found to be a dangerous substance and was banned from most materials, including use in the development of new products. Asbestos has been linked to numerous health conditions that have particularly nasty symptoms and effects. Even though blown-in insulation is installed by professionals, it puts the workers at risk to asbestos exposure. It also puts those living in the building at risk, especially if the insulation breaks down in any way and is spread by means of air ducts. Silent Killer
Asbestosis is a condition asbestos exposure can cause. It is characterized by difficulty breathing, lung inflammation and potentially, heart failure. Many types of cancers can also be caused by asbestos exposure, including lung cancer, stomach cancer and colorectal cancers to name a few. Mesothelioma is a form of cancer that’s only known cause is asbestos exposure. This type of cancer affects the sensitive membranes that surround the heart, lungs and abdomen. Symptoms typically don’t present themselves until the latter stages of the disease, making treatment difficult at best. At the present, blown-in insulation is made up of fiberglass rather than asbestos. However, that does not mean that homeowners are in the clear. Quite the contrary. Many older homes could still contain asbestos blown-in insulation. This can be a serious problem and homeowners need to be aware of it. It is important to contact a professional if you suspect the blown-in insulation in your home contains asbestos. They will have the tools and appropriate equipment to remove and dispose of it safely. Even so, if the insulation in your home does not appear to be damaged, it is most likely safe and is best not to be tampered with. It is really only necessary to remove asbestos from a home if it is damaged and at risk for sending its microscopic fibers into the air. Otherwise, asbestos blown-in insulation is probably best left alone.